Friday, November 4, 2011

November = Thanksgiving

Really hard to believe that we are in November and the holidays are upon us.  I spent yesterday doing some Christmas shopping.  I really love shopping on line.  Don't have to fight the crowds, can have it shipped direct and they will even gift wrap!  How can you beat that?


Last Thanksgiving was my first one gluten free.  Last November I posted my Thanksgiving menu.  I had roasted chicken with wild rice stuffing, chipotle mashed sweet potatoes, french green beans, cranberry sauce and Pamela's Sweet Dinner Rolls.  It was a very good menu but missing an old time favorite.....stuffing.  I soon realized that what was I thinking.  I can make gluten free stuffing.  Here is a recipe for some really great stuffing and it is much cheaper than the boxed variety.


Gluten Free Stuffing Mix

Seasoning Packet:
1 teaspoon ground sage or 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 tablespoon chopped dried celery flakes
2 teaspoons dried onion flakes
2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes, crushed
1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
 
Stuffing:
3 tablespoons butter
1 1/4 cups chicken stock or broth
4 cups bread cubes, partially dried


In a small dish combine the seasoning packet mix.  Set aside.  Cut 4 slices of gluten free sandwich bread into cubes and place in a 325 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes.  The 4 slices of bread should yield about 4 cups of cubes.

In a medium saucepan, combine chicken stock, butter and seasoning mix.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium and simmer for approximately 5 minutes. Stir in bread cubes and cook 1 to 2 minutes or until liquid is absorbed, stirring and fluffing with a fork.  Cover; remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

If you are use to cornbread stuffing make up some gluten free cornbread, coarsely crumble and dry as for the bread cubes.  The recipe takes only minutes to prepare and is a wonderful addition to your Thanksgiving feast.



I haven't completely decided upon the rest of the menu but probably a roasted chicken to go with the stuffing, sweet potatoes of some sort and I'm leaning to either roasted Brussels sprouts or asparagus.  Dessert maybe a pumpkin flan or pumpkin creme brulee.  Whatever the end result I know it will be special as I am cooking for someone I love.



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment